Sunday, September 4, 2016

Session 3

Here are this week's questions based on what we talked about today.

1.  We talked today about the four questions to ask when making a decision/choice: what does the Bible say? what does tradition say? what does experience say? what does common sense say?  In the Catholic church, tradition has equal authority to Scripture, meaning that what has been done in the past mandates what's done in the future.  That notion was rejected by the Reformers in the 16th century, noting that only Scripture has full authority.  Why do you think the Reformers rejected the authority of tradition? What role should tradition have in ethics or decision-making?

2.  What is a situation you're facing today where you can use the four questions to make a decision.  Give some brief details about how you used the four questions to make your decision/choice.

3.  In our denomination, we typically baptize infants; however, there are some parents/families that prefer not to have their children baptized.  How should churches handle that?  Should the CRC adopt a form of infant dedication (like is used in the Baptist tradition)? Should they force infants to be baptized?

3 comments:

  1. 1. I got nothing
    2.school to see if anything in the bible, and if tradition says so and what does an experience know an thing
    3.because it is easyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I think the Reformers rejected the authority of tradition because you can't put something human next to something from God and call it equal. Tradition shouldn't have to have a role in your decision, only God. (I don't know that's my best guess...)
    2. If I have to decide really fast whether to lose my patience with Justina or remain calm. The Bible says be kind and loving towards others. Tradition says you can lose your patience. Experience says it's better to try and stay calm. Common sense says well she's annoying you so you can lose your temper.
    3. I don't think the CRC should force infants to be baptized because they need to respect the parents who don't want their infants baptized. I think the infant dedication is a good idea, but I also think the CRC should be willing to baptize children/adults, not just infants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are you suggesting that the CRC should change its theology? The CRC baptizes adults as long as they weren't baptized as children. The theology of infant baptism goes back to the Catholic Church prior to the Reformation, so that would be hard to change.

      Delete