Welcome to the Profession of Faith class blog. In this blog, I will give you some questions to reflect on. Please post your responses in the comment section. Please only respond to what I write; not to what others post in the comments. You may use others' comments to help formulate your thoughts but please do not offer opinions on what they write.
Our questions for this week are the following:
1. Genesis 1:27 says this:
"27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
What does it mean to you that you are created in the image of God?
2. In the Christian tradition, God has most often been referred to using masculine (male) language. For example, we use the pronouns him and his, we refer to God as Father, etc. Is it appropriate to use feminine language to describe God (for example: she, Mother, etc.)? Is there biblical support for that? If it's not something you would do yourself, can you think of a scenario where feminine language would be helpful?
1.i think god created me in his image as a girl, so I can tell people all around the world about god.
ReplyDeleteRebecca
ReplyDelete1. Being created in the image of God means to me that I am his child, and that I am perfect in his sight because he is perfect and he sees me covered in Jesus' perfectness. It means that he sees me as his, and he loves me no matter what, and even though I sin a lot, he still loves me anyway.
2. I think that it is ok to use feminine language to describe God. We can never fathom how perfect or awesome he is, and we will never be able to put that into words, but we can use either masculine or feminine traits to describe him because he is fatherly, as in protective and strong, but he also has motherly characteristics, as in caring, gentle and loving. So even though we will never completely understand God, we can use these traits, whether masculine or feminine, to help us have a better understanding of who God is.
Brandon Sytsma
ReplyDeleteFor me being made in Gods image shows that he loves us beyond what we can truly understand. He is so loving that he would die for us even when we fail him daily. He love all of us because he created themy in his image.
For all my life I have thought of God my hevenly father. He is strong and is able to provide and protect me in times of struggle. But I could see you calling him mother or something like that, he is loving and you can tell him anything and he will help you. So I'm with Rebecca, you can't really put God into one category he is much greater then that. He is way beyond what we can think, or even imagine.
2.when he is like a mom or mother he will give you love and kindness to make to feel good about your self. like what Rebecca and Brandon said you cant really put God into a category he is way to great to have a category.
ReplyDelete1. I think it means he has forgiven me for all my sins and has made me perfect there for I am like him. He loves me so much he would die for me
ReplyDelete2. I think it's okay in some places. In the gospels when hes teaching to people he uses different things in his teachings so that a farmer, fisherman, etc. can understand. but we can't imagine what he is like so it is fair to use both.